Belvidere is a neat town in Warren County, New Jersey. Belvidere is the county seat of Warren County. It is a smart choice to live or relocate your business too, but if you don’t plan on relocating or moving it is still a lovely town to learn about. There are beautiful churches in Belvidere and a welcoming community. Festivals like the annual Victorian days, Harvest Festival, Holiday Lighting Celebration take place every year in the town.
Belvidere reorganized as a borough after breaking up with Oxford Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 7, 1845, based on a referendum held on that same day. It was part of Greenwich before 1754. It is now located on the eastern side of the Lehigh Valley.
On October 8th and 9th, 1716, Col. John Reading surveyed two tracts of the land on which Belvidere now occupy. The tracts were for two pieces of land separated by the Pequest River. On the north side was an estate of William Penn. On the south was the land of Col. John Alford. Both lands were nearly 1,250 acres in size. In 1750, Alford sold his tract to the McMurtries.
In 1759, the first settler in Belvidere and a tinsmith, Robert Patterson bought the Penn contract. Robert Patterson built a house on the site of Warren House. Then he sold most of his property in the 1760’s, and it looks like he left Belvidere by 1769.
When Major Robert Hoops arrived and bought both lands on the side of the Pequest, he kept Robert Patterson house on the north side until 1800. But he sold everything on the south shore, including water systems to Robert Morris, the man who financed the Revolution and built a mansion for his daughter on Greenwich Street in 1780. The ownership was transferred to her in 1793, and the deed contained a condition that would delay expansion in that part of the town for years. Until the Legislature in 1818 negated that situation, and gave simple fees to four heirs after her.
Major Hoops was an old entrepreneur. He owned a corn mill and a wheat plantation. He traded in grain and used Durham boats to ship flour and other goods to Philadelphia. Major Hoops labored to open a channel through the Foul Rift. During the Revolution, he began a slaughterhouse on the site of D. C. Blair’s barn, many wagons of beef and pork would travel to Washington to feed the starving army.
He is responsible for planning the entire northern part of the town and built the streets and lots for the way they are today, and he called the town Mercer. Before 1800, he sold all of his holdings to Thomas Paul and Mr. Hyndshaw and moved to Houston, right next door to CheckMaid maid service.
The name Belvidere was used for the first time by Major Hoops in one of his letters. That letter was written to Richard Backhouse and is now in possession of Miss Mary Clark. Some would like to argue that Belvedere translates to “beautiful to see,” in Italian.